Across the Sea, Across the Plains: The Epic Account of the Willie and Martin Handcart Companies from Europe to Zion Rating :
Customer Reviews
Most helpful customer reviews
2 of 2 people found the following review helpful.
A fascinating account of faith and miracles.
By Heidi Grange
I loved this book. Despite having heard the story of the Martin and Willie Handcart companies many times before, I found myself learning a great deal about some of the individual's who were there. I found it very humbling to read of the dedication and sacrifice that so many made to follow God's command to gather to Zion. To read of individuals who had the means to come by wagon who donated their money to others and came by handcart instead. The story of a family whose twelve-year-old son disappeared the night before they were to set out across the plains made my heart ache. How the parents must have wondered about their son, but when they were promised they would see their son again, the continued on their journey. They did indeed see their son again, but not for 20 years.
I especially enjoyed reading the stories in the actual words of those who experienced them. The author uses many actual journal entries and ties them together beautifully. I really admire the author for conducting such extensive research and organizing it all into a coherent whole. I highly recommend this book for any who enjoy reading books of LDS history, or just a faith-filled journey of suffering and sacrifice with miracles sprinkled in.
0 of 0 people found the following review helpful.
A REMARKABLE RECORD
By STEVEN D MAHONEY
I AM THE 2ND GREAT GRANDSON OF THE BUGLER IN THE MARTIN HANDCART COMPANY, JOHN WATKINS AND MY WIFE A 2ND GREAT GRANDDAUGHTER OF CATHERINE CUNNINGHAM OF THE WILLIE COMPANY. I HAVE STUDIED THE HISTORY OF THESE PIONEERS FOR MANY YEARS. I CONSIDER THIS ACCOUNT TO BE THE MOST PERSONAL AND THOROUGHLY RESEARCHED I HAVE YET READ, PARTICULARLY SINCE IT IS DRAWN PRIMARILY FROM 1ST PERSON RESOURCES--PERSONAL JOURNALS AND COMPANY JOURNALS, OF BOTH THE HANDCART PIONEERS AND THE RESCUERS. A VERY MOVING ACCOUNT PARTICULARLY TO THOSE OF US WHO ARE DIRECT DESCENDANTS. WHEN YOU THINK YOU HAVE IT TOUGH, READ THIS AND YOU WILL SEE LIFE FROM AN ENTIRELY NEW PERSPECTIVE.
0 of 1 people found the following review helpful.
No Index
By bjj
This is an interesting compilation, but it has no index. The history is presented in chronological order, so finding or following a specific family or person requires reading the book in its entirety and creating a personal list of references. The publisher's failure to provide an index markedly decreases the value of this book.
Product Description
Join the handcart pioneers in their epic journey to Zion. Beginning with the conversions and persecutions they experienced in Europe, this remarkable book shares the true story of the Martin and Willie handcart companies as you've never heard it before. Follow along through the miracles and heartbreaks with eye-witness accounts, first-hand documents, and personal testimonies. Thorough and well-researched, this is a must-read!
Product Details
- Amazon Sales Rank: #522442 in Books
- Published on: 2012-05-08
- Original language:English
- Number of items: 1
- Dimensions: 8.78" h x5.98" w x.83" l,.87 pounds
- Binding: Paperback
- 336 pages

No comments :
Post a Comment