The Mormons, or Latter-day Saints. With memoirs of the life and death of Joseph Smith, the "American Mohomet" Rating :
Product Description
This historic book may have numerous typos and missing text. Purchasers can download a free scanned copy of the original book (without typos) from the publisher. Not indexed. Not illustrated. 1851 Excerpt: ...the other company I marched into Nauvoo, to address the inhabitants there, and tell them what they might expect in case they designedly or imprudently provoked a war. I performed this duty, as I think, plainty and emphatically, and then set out to return to Carthage. When I had marched about three miles, a messenger informed me of the occurrences at Carthage. I hastened on to that place. The guard,'it is said, did their duty, but were overpowered. Many of the inhabitants of Carthage had fled with their families. Others were preparing to go. I apprehended danger to the settlements from the sudden fury and passion of the Mormons, and sanctioned their movements in this respect. "General Deming volunteered to remain with a few troops to observe the progress of events, to defend property against small numbers, and with orders to retreat if menaced by a superior force. I decided to proceed immediately to Quincy, to prepare a force sufficient to suppress disorders, in case it should ensue from the foregoing transactions or from any other cause. I have hopes that the Mormons will make no further difficulties. In this I may he mistaken. The other party may not be satisfied. They may recommence aggression. I have determined to preserve the peace against all breakers of the same, at all hazards. I think present circumstances warrant the precaution of having competent force at my disposal in readiness to march at a moment's warning. My position at Quincy will enable me to get the earliest intelligence, and to communicate orders with greater celerity. "I have decided to issue the following general orders:--"Head Quarters, Quincy, June 29, 1844. "It is ordered that the commandants of regiments in the counties of Adams, Marquette, Pike, Brown, Schuyler...
Product Details
- Published on: 2012-05-21
- Original language:English
- Number of items: 1
- Dimensions: 9.53" h x7.32" w x.31" l,.59 pounds
- Binding: Paperback
- 142 pages
No comments :
Post a Comment