The River Rating :
Customer Reviews
Most helpful customer reviews
1 of 1 people found the following review helpful.
The Worse Book I've Ever Read
By Mulberryman
I own land on the Mulberry River in Arkansas and have heard and read dozens of great stories involving hidden treasure in this area, hence, I was very excited when I saw this book on Amazon. Although it was pricey for a paperback at $25, I immediately ordered and paid for extra shipping so that it would get to my house before the holidays. This morning I had a cup of coffee and sat down to start it. It didn't take long to figure out it was terrible. The author didn't conduct any real research into De Soto's travels into Arkansas or any of the treasure lore of the Mulberry. The book reads like someone's boring facebook posts. She tells about her doctor and dentist appointments and how great her mother's peanut brittle tastes and how hard working her sons are. The only reason I finished it was because I thought at some point she would actually tell some of the old stories that real old timers along the river actually tell, but she didn't. In fact, she ended up talking about some state park in Oklahoma. I cannot describe in words how boring this book was.
Basically there is nothing new in the book about hidden treasure. In fact, anyone off the street could sit down and within 5 minutes get more stories on hidden treasure on the Mulberry River than what is contained in this book just by googling it. I have never returned a book in my life, but I am going to attempt to return this one. I hope Amazon takes it back.
0 of 0 people found the following review helpful.
Big disappointment
By Mulberryman
I own land on the Mulberry River in Arkansas and have heard and read dozens of great stories involving hidden treasure in this area, hence, I was very excited when I saw this book on Amazon. Although it was pricey for a paperback at $25, I immediately ordered and paid for extra shipping so that it would get to my house before the holidays. This morning I had a cup of coffee and sat down to start it. It didn't take long to figure out it was terrible. The author didn't conduct any real research into De Soto's travels into Arkansas or any of the treasure lore of the Mulberry. The book reads like someone's boring facebook posts. She tells about her doctor and dentist appointments and how great her mother's peanut brittle tastes and how hard working her sons are. The only reason I finished it was because I thought at some point she would actually tell some of the old stories that real old timers along the river actually tell, but she didn't. In fact, she ended up talking about some state park in Oklahoma. I cannot describe in words how boring this book was.
Basically there is nothing new in the book about hidden treasure. In fact, anyone off the street could sit down and within 5 minutes get more stories on hidden treasure on the Mulberry River than what is contained in this book just by googling it. I have never returned a book in my life, but I am going to attempt to return this one. I hope Amazon takes it back.
Product Description
The Mulberry River runs through the foothills of the Ozarks and empties into the Arkansas River just a few miles downstream from Fort Smith, Arkansas. There are so many stories told of events on those river banks. Most of the secret stories are kept just that—secret—and for good reasons. This book is about stories of hidden treasure, secret societies and family murders—actual stories as told by some of the area’s old timers as they recall the past and present. Who would ever think that out of those comes a life lesson that could change someone’s life for the better? This is a short story of how a man from years ago that I never met changed my life. This book is for Andy; even though I never met him, I feel like I know him well.
Product Details
- Amazon Sales Rank: #3421849 in Books
- Published on: 2007-05-21
- Released on: 2007-05-21
- Original language:English
- Number of items: 1
- Dimensions: 8.50" h x5.75" w x.39" l,.48 pounds
- Binding: Paperback
- 166 pages

No comments :
Post a Comment