Wayward Saints: The Social and Religious Protests of the Godbeites against Brigham Young Rating :
Customer Reviews
Most helpful customer reviews
0 of 0 people found the following review helpful.
I'm a descendant
By florence
I was aware that this book existed and when Amazon had it on sale I jumped at buying it. I am a descendant of William Godbe and am now reading about what I have only heard through hearsay. It's extremely interesting and can't wait to finish it.
Product Description
BYU Studies
Mormon Studies
With stories that include spiritualist séances, conspiracy, and an important church trial, Wayward Saints chronicles the 1870s challenge of a group of British Mormon intellectuals to Brigham Young’s leadership and authority. William S. Godbe and his associates protested Young’s demanding community and resented what they perceived to be Young’s intrusion into matters of personal choice.
Excommunicated from the church, they established the “New Movement,” which eventually failed. Both a study in intellectual history and an investigation of religious dissent, Wayward Saints explores nineteenth century American spiritualism as well as the ideas and intellectual structure of first- and second-generation Mormonism.
Distributed for BYU Studies.
Product Details
- Amazon Sales Rank: #2558185 in Books
- Published on: 2009-06-30
- Original language:English
- Number of items: 1
- Dimensions: 8.76" h x5.91" w x1.08" l,1.50 pounds
- Binding: Paperback
- 400 pages

No comments :
Post a Comment